How to apply online for EPR?
EPR, which is Extended Producer Responsibility, is a strategy to deal with the disposal of electrical and electronic versions of standard products (EEE). E-waste contains chemicals like mercury, lead, cadmium, and brominated flame retardants that can severely affect human health and the environment.
Extended Producer Responsibility policy holds manufacturers accountable for their products till the end of their life cycle. Manufacturers and producers require EPR authorization from the Central Pollution Control Boards (CPCB). There are various ways to apply for the grant and fill the application online.
Why is EPR Authorization necessary?
Under the E-waste management rule 2016, the board has emphasized the need to have an EPR authorization for the manufacturers of EEE products. This authorization ensures that the EEE generated channelizes to recycling agencies and dismantlers for its proper disposal.
EPR is not just limited to recycling, and sometimes it takes the form of reuse and buyback methods. Failure to obtain EPR authorization is a violation that can lead to 5 years of imprisonment with up to 1 Lac fine under section 15 of the Environment (Protection) Act 1986.
Requirements of the Central Pollution Control Board for authorization process?
- EPR Plan according to the guidelines and procedures of the application.
- Agreement copies with dismantlers, recycling agencies, and other storage and disposal facilities
- Require self-declaration and technical documents as per the restrictions of using certain hazardous substances, EN 50581 of EU
- Copy of permissions for producing specific products from relevant departments and ministry
- Other documents like GST details, Pan card, Aadhaar card
- Documents with full details of the product
- Proper details of producers, manufacturers, recyclers, and refurbishers
- Details of the estimated electric and electronic equipment waste generation
- The year-wise detail of E-waste placed in the market in the last ten years
- A copy of the contract with PRO (Producers Responsibility Organization)
- Verified list of producers attached with the recyclers and dismantlers, including their collection targets
- A self-attested copy of the authorization of the recycling agency or any third party hired.
- In the case of importers, a copy of IEC is essential.
- Document of license or grant from the Director General Of Foreign Trade (DGFT).
- The estimated budget for the Extended Producer Responsibility by the manufacturer
The procedure of online EPR authorization
- Find the relevant technology platform: With the help of the right technology platform, you can get detailed information and mandatory requirements to apply for EPR. You just have to fill in the name email ID and provide your number on these platforms.
- Provide consultant: A manager or consultant helps you to get an idea about how to fill the form based on the nature of the products you manufacture. So, you can discuss the requirements and queries with the allotted consultant.
- Track progress: Online platforms can make it easier to track the progress of your applications. Know what stage your application reached, what is approved, and any other report related to it.
- Receive Documents: Many platforms provide delivery of the approved document at your doorstep within a period of 20 to 30 days. The papers are also mailed to the respective ID provided by the producer on these websites.
By keeping the above procedures and guidelines, one can quickly get the EPR authorization from the Central Pollution Control Board.
How do I get an EPR certificate?
EPR certificate is mandatory for any manufacturer or producer for e-waste management of their product. The Central Pollution Control Board issues certificates to ensure the proper disposal and management of waste.
The manufacturers have to collaborate with recyclers and dismantlers and submit all plans and information to the CPCB to get the certificate.
Responsibilities of CPCB
- No producer can manufacture carry bags or multilayered packaging unless they register to the State or Central Pollution Control board (SPCB/CPCB) union territory’s pollution control community.
- The board cannot renew the registration of products until the producer submits a proper action plan. It should also mention the setting of the Plastic Waste Management System.
- The CPCB inquires and verifies the information submitted by the applicant. It is necessary to check if:
- The applicant possesses adequate facilities.
- Technical capabilities
- Equipments to handle Electric and Electronic Equipments (EEE) and plastic wastes
- The board grants registration within ninety days if the documents submitted are complete and correct.
- The board cannot cancel, revoke, or suspend registration without providing the manufacturers an equal opportunity to put forth their points.
Documents for EPR certificate
- EPR plan consists of an e-waste channelization system for the targeted collection. Make the plan according to the guidelines and rules of the Central Pollution Control Board.
- Documents for address proof of the producer, manufacturer, and brand owner plus.
1. GST document copy that indicates the address of the manufacturing unit
2. Copy of certificate documents of the registrar of company, directorate of industry, municipal corporation, and import-export letter code
Details of the product with production history and model numbers and it should also consist of
- Quantity of products
- Number of each product
- Weight of the product
Detail of Electronic and Electrical Equipment (EEE) placed in the market in the past ten years
- Self-declaration for provisions as per the format and compliance of Reduction of Hazardous substances
- Self-declaration for the EEE products placed on the market and if they comply with the limits of RoHS.
- Technical documents which contain the supplier’s declarations and material analytical reports
- Provide evidence that the product complies with the RoHS provisions based on standard EN 50581 of EU
- A verified RoHS certificate
- KYC of manufacturer’s and PRoducer’s company
The different plans related to waste management should include:
- Awareness strategy of the company
- Implementation methodology for EPR schemes
- Planned budget for EPR and other initiatives
- Permission/Licenses copy from the department or relevant ministry.
- Self-attested copy of the authorization of recyclers, dismantlers, and processors
- All the list of producers involved with the recycling agencies and their collection target
Copies of agreement with the
- Collection centers
- Treatment and disposal facilities (TSDF’s)
Estimation for the quantity of:
- E-waste generation item-wise (like the different electronic products and the type of plastic used for packaging)
- Upcoming year’s collection target
- Waste generation in service centres
CPCB maintains the proper channelization of waste by making the producers liable through the polluter’s pay principle. Proper EPR implementation will improve the condition and reduce the amount of harmful waste from the environment.